Wednesday, 10 June 2009
THE MANIFESTO OF THE IDLE PARENT by Tom Hodgkinson
We reject the idea that parenting requires hard work
We pledge to leave our children alone (and not nag them to smithereens)
We reject the rampant consumerism that invades children from the moment they are born
We read them poetry and fantastic stories without morals
We drink alcohol without guilt
We reject the inner Puritan
We don’t waste money on family days out and holidays
An idle parent is a thrifty parent
An idle parent is a creative parent
We lie in bed for as long as possible
We try not to interfere
We play in the fields and forests
We push them into the garden and shut the door so we can clean the house
We both work as little as possible, particularly when the kids are small
Time is more important than money
Happy mess is better than miserable tidiness
Down with school
We fill the house with music and merriment
We reject health and safety guidelines
We embrace responsibility
There are many paths
More play, less work
It’s rare that I come across something with which I identify so much.
Monday, 30 March 2009
Tis been a while eh?
Since my last blog, I mean.
1. Had a birthday. I am now the ripe old age of 36, that sure as hell is closer to 40 than 30 isn't it. We trundled off to Cadbury World and enjoyed all the chocolatey goodness that it entailed. (scroll down for pics in no particular order)
2. Stealth's theatrical stuff. He is in a show this weekend and is a bit wobbly about it. It's quite a production and they are doing 3 performances with about 800 + peeps coming to see it in total. Bless.
3. Journeymama is truly my heroine. Check her blog out, google journeymama and see what lovelyness ensues. I have followed her for a while but the other day I sat down and read through her blog archives from 2006 to 2008 and was just enthralled. This mama can write.
4. Had a lovely evening with friends for Earth hour. Candle lit chit chat and drinks. No music, no tv. Perfick.
5. Toasty evening in front of the fire pit in the garden with carnelian dude and CK and Stealth. Played with the torch and shadows including Stealths impression of Ginormica ( Monsters v Aliens ref..)
6. Monsters v Aliens, nice movie to while away a couple of hours.
7. All things newfie. Carnelian dude happened to mention that he is a bit desperate for another newfie dawg and now I am ALL.ABOUT.THE.NEWF.
I just love em, love em, love em. Until you've been owned by a newf you have no idea what I'm on about.
They are the reason why the gods/goddesses invented dogs.
And now that he's admitted he'd one day (if you're reading this carnelian dude - how about next year, or christmas time, maybe summer or what's wrong with getting one next month.....lol) like another one then I am ALL.ABOUT.THE.NEWF again.
In my head and heart I've already worked out how much it'd cost to feed one,pet plan, where it'd sleep and looking at cars going "you'd never fit a newf in that.." when obviously you could as we have managed to stick a fully grown retriever, newf, 2 kids and 2 adults in a renault clio before now!!!
8. Ck has done a painting for a local yet city wide competition. Fingers crossed. (scroll down for pics)
Monday, 2 March 2009
1. I managed to go out over the weekend - shopping and eating and the like. Sounds easy to say but it was nerve wracking none the less. But I did it!
2. Helped someone find the mobile phone they had lost.
3. Bought a box to keep mementos in, a tangible reminder of the positives in my life.
4. Stealth had the most wicked of evenings last night and it was awesome to see him really enjoying himself.
5. Tiramisu....... mmmmmmm
Saturday, 31 January 2009
How's this for all kinds of funny, I was on my way into town with CK and Stealth - on the bus that is.. No, no, that's not the funny bit, me being on a bus!! Anyhoos, we were sat right at the back and two rows in front of us were 4 sk8ter boiz complete with skateboards and badly styled hair. So, I'm sat with my sprogs and we were just chatting and milling til it was time to get off the bus when lo and behold I over-heard this little gem from quiet sk8ter boi number 1- are ya ready??
"So right, I heard that if you get touched on your thigh in a certain place it's like 1/8th of an orgasm"
Now likkle sk8ter boi, this iz funni. I did teh laffing mi self 2 wetness and death.
I think the schools system needs to work on their sex ed classes a little more..... haha.
Friday, 30 January 2009
Do not ever think, that when you have goulash cooking on your stove you'll have time for a quickie with your beloved, as inevitably said quickie will take longer than it does for the goulash to stick to the bottom of the pan.....
1. Finding out Red Nose Day '09 is on my birthday.
2. My black mood is still with me.
3. Dreams.... well, over the past week I have dreamt the following at some point or other, being pregnant, attending an all girls school, deformed shark jumping out of a pond to try and bite my legs off ( while at all girls school..), back stage at theatre - working, cops and robbers, George Clooney being at my house and sitting in 3 different chairs whilst not taking no for an answer.. pig and sheep giving birth simultaneously at my house (while Mr Clooney is trying it on!) - pig upstairs and sheep downstairs and the lamb that is delivered (in technicolour) is same size as it's mum... circus antics.
4. CK and Stealth grumbling at each other all the time.
5. Me and Carnelian Dude having an argument ( a very rare occurrence).
6. CK has done some awesome art today, I mean really awesome! If I can get chance to scan it in I will.
7. I broke the hamsters cage - so Jammie now has a pad worthy of CRIBS.
8. Bigger dog broke my solar powered outdoor (obviously-duh...) fairy lights and came in the house with them trailing behind her. It took us ages to work out where they had attached themselves to her... She is now sans lights.
9. Finished my Scottish letter, writing a letter with lots of Glaswegian banter in it when I'm no Scottish by birth is no easy, let me tell yous.
10. Dan at 0ddness says kebabs are bad for you.